- Slate is a dense, tough, durable rock which is mined from quarries generally from the eastern United States.
- Roofing slate comes in many different sizes, thickness, and colors. The basic colors of roofing slate are black, gray, green, purple, and red.
- Exposure to weather causes all slate to change slightly in color. The degree of color change varies with different slates.
- Roofing slate thickness are a standard 3/16 of an inch thick and can be up to 2 inches thick.
- Plastic slate, which looks very similar to stone slate, is a more inexpensive option.